Saturday, April 9, 2011

Thirty Days of Me...Days 7 and 8

Technically we're on Day 9 of this Thirty Days of Me thingamabob,  but I'm behind so I'll tackle days 7 and 8 today and double up tomorrow.

Day 7 - My Favorite Movies

Here are a few of my favorite movies.

Dirty Dancing - I still love this movie, this is one of the few movies that I can watch over and over, even back to back if it's a marathon.  My husband teases me about it, but there's just something about this movie that causes it never to get old for me.

The Sound of Music, The King and I, Fiddler on the Roof, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  I love, love, love musicals!!  Not new musicals that have no story line, but the old ones if you please!  I could watch these too over and over.

The Blind Side, Shall We Dance (adore Richard G.), Pretty Woman, and Grease.  Gee, the musical theme keeps popping up. 

I enjoy movies with dancing and music with a beat too like Save the Last Dance and Step it Up.

Last but not least is my thing for Elvis Presley, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire.  My all time favorite Elvis flick is Blue Hawaii, I could probably watch that as much as Dirty Dancing.  I've always had a thing for black and white movies too, still do.   

Day 8 - A place I've traveled to

When I was I think 4 or 5, my dad was moved to Turkey and he got to take the family with him.  We packed up and make the trip across whatever ocean it was and lived in Turkey for almost 2 years.  That was an adventure that I'll always remember.  I associate the diesel gas smell from city buses with the downtown streets of Turkey and that's immediately followed by the smell of fresh baked bread.  Rainier cherries are a special treat that remind me of the open markets.  Chain grocery store baklava fails to compare to what my taste buds remember from 30 years ago.  I can still count to five in Turkish and say hello and goodbye, but can't spell it so you're spared from that. 

Several years ago, my husband won a contest at work and received a trip to Cancun.  My mother came in to stay with our girls and we went off for a honeymoon that we never had.  It was absolutely beautiful with bougainvilleas that were out of this world gorgeous!

Have a great night!
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, you listed all the great movies!!! I don't think I have EVER seen Blue Hawaii!!! I must see it now! Gonna go to the library website and see if they have it. That must have been so awesome to live in Turkey!!! The other places outside of the US are just so amazing to see. I found out from my old boss that you can fly somewhere oversees as cheaply as just crossing the US...and you can spend a week somewhere and do and see so much in 8 days! We flew to Germany for the same price as flying to California, for example! I would dearly love to see Mexico one day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right. We do love the same movies, but then I should have known that. And yes, I did forget to put the one of Elvis, "Blue Hawaii", and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". I know that there are so many more that we love. Wish you were here and we would go and see "HOP" and then "RIO" together. Of course, we would leave the girls at home, since they said they would not go and see it. I watched "BURLESQUE" by myself and I was glad that I did, I didn't realize that the dancing would be so provocative. I would not have enjoyed watching it with mixed company. The music was good, though and I love to watch Cher. I think perhaps there was some words, but I was blogging while watching it. Will not but it though. Went back in the mail this morning.

    ReplyDelete