Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Nice Surprise

Let's just say that this hasn't been an ideal week.  Tuesday I left work early because I had a headache on the right side.  Trying to ward off a migraine, I thought it would be a good idea to come home and sleep it off.  Only, as the day went on my ear started to hurt as well so I made an appointment the next morning.  Of all things, I had a sinus infection and ear infection just on the right side of my head (left was perfectly normal) and that triggered a migraine.  Came home and slept the whole day while being quite bummed about using a sick day that I really didn't have to use in the first place.  Woke up today headache free, so it was looking to be an good day.  After lunch, one of my coworkers walks into my office with this funny (ok, kind of ugly) looking plant and wanted to know if I had it.  I replied that I didn't, and she says, "It's yours!".  She went on to explain that it was so ugly that it was cute and she knew she hadn't seen it in any of the pictures I've shared.  What a nice surprise to an otherwise dull day!!  Here she is, and I warn you...she's a little odd looking.  She's called a 'Ming Thing', Cereus forbesii monstrose, because she looks like a Chinese sculpture, I think 'Little Brain' is more fitting...what do you think?



The other day, I was reading Catherine's Inspire Bohemia blog and she had found a Kalanchoe that looked really similar to my Kalanchoe Delagoensis 'Chandelier Plant' and I was thinking that I needed to fix my name.  After looking at them again, they are very similar, but hers has jagged edges and mine are smooth...kind of remind me of the salimandor lizards...now I'll add a Kalanchoe Serrata 'Magic Tower' to my list of succulents to look for!  I just love the names!! I really like all the little plantlets that grow on the leaf edges just waiting to drop and take root!

This is how big is was a month or so after I brought it home and here it is a year later.  I wish it would bloom, but I guess that takes a while.

Happy Thursday...almost Friday!

5 comments:

  1. Your kalenchoe will bloom...they all do it the same time every year!!! I want to say in the fall...but I seriously can't remember!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...sory to hear about your sinus and ear infection! That's about how it goes on one side!!! Oh brother!

    I have a Cereus forbesii monstrose...I couldn't resisit having one!!! I think they are swo weird and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Julie! It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't 97 degrees outside! Feeling much better now, so we can enjoy the long weekend. I'm sure I'll have to hit a nursery this weekend, and that's always something to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for mentioning my blog.. I love all of your images, especially the last one.. it sure does look a lot like mine. It's truly fascinating how many varieties of succulents there are, isn't it?? By the way, love the strawberry pot, I have yet to do one with succulents, though I have a big one full of Spicy Basil, German Thyme and Parsley that really thrives on my balcony. My mother has a small strawberry pot like yours that is overflowing with some type of Kalanchoe, it looks great once it fills out!

    Hope you feel better Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and by the way, I love that funky little cactus that your friend gave you, I just saw an enormous one the other day at a nursery and it was way more weird and disturbing! When I find a small one at Home Depot or elsewhere I'll definitely get it! :)

    ReplyDelete