Saturday, January 22, 2011

Book Review - Mum's the Word

I came across this series on one of my adventures at Half Price Books a while back, and it's taken me a while to get all the books (minus two).  The series is called A Flower Shop Mystery by Kate Collins, and I'll be you can't you imagine why I'd want to read them!!  Mum's the Word was a delightful read.  I'll share a bit from the back of the book with you before I give you my take.  I thought I should start doing this since sometimes what I think doesn't really give you a good idea of the book. 

I don't meddle, honest!  But can I help it if my nose for injustice is as keen as my green thumb?  Now, I Abby Knight, law school dropout, am the proud new owner of Bloomers, my hometown flower shop.  I'm devoted to making by business grow, but I'm no shrinking violet if someone needs my help to right a wrong - even if that person is already dead...

A Thorny Predicament - So maybe Abby's life isn't the bed of roses she was hoping it would be.  She adores her job, but a new low-cost competitor is killing her profits - and a black SUV just rammed her vintage Corvette in a hit-and-run.  Determined to track down the driver, she accepts the help of hunky ex-cop Marco Salvare.  But their budding relationship is threatened when the trail turns deadly.  Now Abby is caught in a tangle of menacing phone calls, police corruption, and murderous road rage.  If she's not careful, the next flower arrangement might be for her own funeral...

My thoughts:  I loved this book from the start.  Abby's short, busty and stubborn...I can relate to all three!  My dream job would be to work in a nursery/book store (weird combo, but in my mind it works), and a flower shop is not a bad idea either.  Imagine if I got into the right place...I could introduce succulent arrangements, and the city of San Antonio would be all the better for it!  Back to the book.   When Abby's Vette got run into, she was not about to stop once she figured out who hit her.  She got wrangled into helping Lottie's cousin, Pearl, leave and divorce her no good cheating husband.  That added an entirely different problem into the mix, Pearl's husband also has a nasty temper.  There was a bit more language in it that other Cozies I've read, but that probably had something to do with Pearl's husband's violent temper.  I can't wait to read the next one, which I'm starting today.  She's funny, spunky and too irresistible not to like.  So, if you like flowers and mystery, this could be the series for you!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good! I will look for it at the used bookstore RIGHT DOWN MY STREET!!! I am so lucky! Thanks for telling about this one!

    ReplyDelete