Sunday, February 20, 2011

Her Mother's Hope and Her Daugher's Dream - Book Reviews

Francine Rivers is one of my all time favorite authors.  Her latest two book saga was every bit and more that I was expecting.  The first book, Her Mother's Hope takes you through the life of Marta beginning as a child of an abusive father.  She leaves at the encouragement of her mother and is determined to see the realization of her dreams.  Throughout the book, the relationships between mother and daughter of the previous generation play a key roll in the relationship of the current mother/daughter.  I was caught up in the story from the first page and the 483 pages flew by way too fast.  Her Daughter's Dream picks up with Marta's daughter and granddaughter.  Again, it's amazing how misconceptions and bondage's that were prevalent in a preview relationship carry over to the next generation.   I wanted to reach into the pages and shake them sometimes throughout the book. 

It's hard for me to imagine a strained relationship with my mother because we've always had a very close relationship.  My mother was not my best friend until I reached adulthood and had children of my own, but even as I think back to growing up, I always knew that she loved me no matter what I had pulled that week.  I can't imagine not having that confirmation, but I know that for many women, that is not the case.  These books made me sit back and take a look at my relationship with my own girls.  As I was tossing the volleyball to my oldest, I asked her, "Do you always know that no matter how well behaved or disrespectful you are that I love you no different?".   I think that in our busy society it's important to make sure that our children know they are loved, assuming they know is no longer enough, at least not in my way of thinking. 

If you have not read Francine Rivers yet, I would encourage you to pick these up.  I was blessed to have read them, and I believe that you will be as well.  Don't let the length scare you, I read these faster than then cozy mysteries that are half the size!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that this turned out to be a good Christmas gift for you. Now I will look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete