Saturday, March 19, 2011

Flaunt your Flowers/Fertilizer Friday

ff

I missed yesterday again, but as with the post I did this morning, I'm still pretending that it's Friday.  Otherwise I'll never get to play along with the other Flaunt your Flower participants over at Tootsie Time

I don't have a lot blooming, but I do have two new bougainvilleas that I added to the collection.  The first is another 'Torch' bougainvillea.  This one had the name 'Pixie' something or other, but the one I've had for years was sold as a 'Torch'.  It's different than the normal ones becuase it grows tall and then sends its branches outward and both the leaves and blooms are much smaller.  When I saw this one, I thought, "If one is good, then two must be better!"  Besides, I've had mine for a number of years and each winter I worry that she might not come back.  Another thing, in the years that I've had mine, I have not seen another one.  That was an additional selling point, who knows when I would find another one!


The other one is an orangish/pinkish color and I wasn't sure I had this one, but I needed it just in case.



My 'Vick's Plant' that my BNF, Amy, gave me is shooting out a lovely lavender bloom too.  For some reason this plant is really difficult for me, so I'm on my third or fourth go round with it.  It's a good thing she's right across the street and her plant is huge!!



A late blooming Christmas Cactus is my last flower for today.  I'm not sure why, but once she bloomed that first year, she always blooms closer to Easter now...weird.

3 comments:

  1. Your Christmas cactus is beautiful! I wish I could grow bougainvilleas here, they are so lovely - I just have to enjoy them virtually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bougainvillas are just gorgeous plants, aren't they??? If only they didn't have those thorns!!! The available colors are amazing! We used to have one by our front door that went way above the roof...we kept cutting it back and it was so pretty...until a big storm took it out!!! We were so sad!!!

    Aw...memories...

    I see some of these epiphyte cactus do bloom at different times...I think there is one that blooms around Thanksgiving too...interesting, isn't it....regardless of when, they are so pretty...I love how the bloom is shaped and the color too!

    Looks like you are having a great weekend! I bought two pots of flowers at Home Depot yesterday and got them planted too. One had 3 sunflowers and the other had 3 zinnias. I will have to take some pics today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! my Christmas cactus....blooms every two or three months...it is just crazy. lol
    your flowers are all gorgeous...and better late than never is the best way to say it! thanks so much for linking in today...I am happy to have seen you! I hope you will again soon!

    ReplyDelete