Thursday, August 26, 2010

Writer's Workshop: What Unconditional Love Means to Me

Mama's Losin' It

This week's prompt:  “It was as if an invisible thread hooked her to her boy. The thread could go taut or slack but it could never come undone, it could never reach the end of its spool because there was no end; it bound them forever.” What does unconditional love mean to you?


Much like the quote included with this prompt, my children are always the first thought when I talk about unconditional love.  When your child is placed in your arms for the first time, be it in the delivery room or through the channels of adoption, an overwhelming sense of love overtakes you.  In that moment, you  can't comprehend anything separating you from your tiny treasure, and woe to the person who would even sugest such a thought.  To often though, as we journey through life love is based on being good enough, living up to expectations set by others, how bad we messed up, how great we did, other people's opinions dictated to others, and a ton of other preposterous reasons.

Unconditional love for me is knowing that no matter what my children do or the decisions they choose to make in life, they will always have my love.  They might make decisions that I don't agree with and can't support, but my love will not stop because of those choices.  There might be times of distancing (I pray not), but they will always know that no matter what they choose in life that I will always love them just as much as the day they were born. 

Unconditional love comes with no strings attached; because in my opinion, if there are strings, then it was never really unconditional love to begin with.

Mandy

To join in the Writer's Workshop, stop by Mama Kat's (link's at the top of post) , choose a prompt and jump right in!


5 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%! I feel that string holding me to my kids and grandkids...it is always there...no matter how far apart we are physically, we are still together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your unconditional love for your kids. Simply loved your post :)

    I am your newest follower
    Thanks for sharing!

    http://dwivedi2326.blogspot.com/2010/08/thanks-for-loving-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Mandy. Since I have kids, you know I agree completely. My kids are 22,19 and 8. I have to say there have been times that I have not always "liked" them, but the love never ceases. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mandy,
    I'm finally making my rounds to catch up on the writing workshop comments. I hope you didn't think I forgot?
    I wrote about Unconditional Love on my Wordpress blog but took a somewhat different approach...
    I love the way you focused on your love for your kids. I agree with you that the love we have for our kids is that way though I feel it changes as they get older. Enjoyed your post and I am following you.
    I stopped by from MamaKat's Writing Workshop; I wrote on 5 Summer Images for my blogger blog and could use some feedback. Thank you!
    Have a great weekend!
    Best,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete