Monday, October 15, 2012

Kalanchoe Mortagei Crenata

 
My plant has a real, bonified name!!  Meet Kalanchoe Mortagei Crenata, with much thanks to my Florida blogger friend, Julie at A Succulent Life for her tenacious researching skills!!  She found it on this really cool website that I somehow had forgotten about Glasshouse Works, let's just be clear that I've now added this to my favorite list so I don't lose it again!  They have it with the fun name of 'Mother of Hundreds', but I much prefer my nickname of 'Big Mama Donkey Ears'.  These leaves are so much larger than my regular 'Donkey Ear' has ever gotten.  Of course, I lost my original plant after she bloomed.  Once they bloom, they begin to die, so I'm on year one of babies trying to get big and beautiful.  Thankfully my neighbor friend, Amy, has a ton of them as well in case there's an emergency and I need more. 
 
I'll have to take pictures of the plantlets on this one, they are very different as well.  They seem to have a ball that connects to the leaf with bigger roots.  It makes them a little odd to put in the dirt, but we're working on that. 
 
Thank you again, Julie!  I believe you should go by the title of Succulent Rock Star from this point forward! 
 
Make it a great day!
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Glad you discovered it's real identity!!! This was a hard one, but loads of fun to play around with! YEAH! I would take a piece, but am just not spending much time with my succulents these days and lack room. Thanks for the cute title, but, no...I was only taking stabs in the dark, really!!! :)
    xoxo- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've this plant too, originally from a leaf of a neighbour. We call it 'Mother of Thousands'.

    ReplyDelete