Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mystery Plant

About a year ago, I picked up a really cute little plant from the guy that does plant sells at his house.  I kept it in a small pot and it was doing good, but wasn't really getting too big.  Earlier this summer, I moved it to a larger pot and it's taken off like crazy!  He called it a Fireworks Plant, but I have yet to find anything similar by that name online.  The last time I went by, he told me he couldn't find the name, so that's just what he called it.  I'm going to take it by a nursery, but thought I'd see if any of you know what it is. 


I can see where he got the firework's name, that's really what they remind you of.  The flower stalks shoot up with little offshoots and the blooms are little balls until they open up to 3 petal pink blooms.



Of course, the puppies kept moving the plant and so it was challanging to get a shot that wasn't blurry!  Here's a close up too of the leaves.


When the blooms are done, the seed pod remains and it's about the size of a pinhead.  I also stuck a piece that a puppy who will remain unmentioned ripped off in some water and it's rooting quite nicely.  The only thing irritating me right now is that I have no clue what it is. 

Anyone have any idea? 

6 comments:

  1. That is a really pretty plant. I just love the dainty little pink flowers. I hope you get a name and the puppies leave it alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry no idea, i think the nursery is your best bet or a local university??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is Jewels of Opar. I recently received one at a plant swap. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's some info.....http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2008/05/plant_bio_jewels_of_opar.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the plant! I had a mother come over to get her daughter and she could not get over my succulents. I told her that my Mandy is the one that got me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for helping solve the mystery, Karen and Amy!

    ReplyDelete